WHAT IS BRAISING? Braising is a cooking method in which you first sear the food with a HOT pan, then slowly cook it for a long period of time in a liquid with a lid to trap in the heat. Tough cuts of meat that require long cooking times to reach a tender, pleasant texture just like these ribs did…SO GOOD
In this keto recipe, we take the leftover braising liquid and make a RICH deeply textured and flavorful sauce by reducing it down. This sauce is luxuriously dripped onto the short ribs which sit perfectly on a bed of house-made picked cauliflower florets. This recipe is top dollar baby. Enjoy!
Braised Short Rib Recipe:
1 lb – Beef Short Ribs
1 head – Organic Garlic
5-10 – Brussel sprouts (halved)
2-3 cups – Stock or broth (beef, chicken, or veg)
1) Start a greased dutch oven or tall saucepan on high heat to sear the ribs. Sear alone in the pan until each side has a golden color.
2) Arrange the ribs bone side up on top of the brussel sprouts and head of garlic (cut in half, skin on).
3) Still, on the high heat, fill the pan with stock. Fill 3/4 up to the top of the ribs leaving just the bone sticking out.
4) Place a tight-fitting lid on the pot and place in the oven 275F for 2 hours (tender but still cuttable with a knife) or 275F for 4 hours (shreddable with a fork)
Leftover cooking liquid
1) After the ribs are done, rest them on a plate or board. Dump the contents into a fine strainer over a medium saucepan.
2) Place ribs back into the pot, close with the lid and keep in the cooling oven to stay warm.
4) Using a rubber spatula press the sprouts and garlic through the strainer as best as possible. Discard the rest. Scrape the bottom of the strainer into the pot as well.
5) Place on very high heat uncovered and cook down until only a half inch to a quarter inch remains in the pan.
6) Taste the sauce, add butter for smoothness. If the sauce is too thick add water.
1/2 head Cauliflower (florets)
1/2 cup White vinegar
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Pepper
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Chili flakes
1) Add vinegar and all dry ingredients to a small saucepan and heat until simmering.
2) Add the cauliflower florets and stir.
3) Take off heat, keep stirring to ensure all florets get soaked in the hot vinegar. Place in a ceramic bowl to cool. Set this aside until beef ribs and sauce are ready. Enjoy.
Want a custom board like mine?
Contact Eric on his Etsy account: https://www.etsy.com/shop/fitchettewoodworking
Need a product featured in my video?
The Keto Chef Amazon Store:
Music: Epidemic Sound